Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

What are the definitions of Cost of Repair, Cost of

Customer Question

What are the definitions of Cost of Repair, Cost of Replacement, and what is the difference?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Cost of repair is what you would pay someone to fix an item, including any parts and labor.

Cost of replacement is what you would spend if you went and bought a new one, either because it would cost more to fix it than to buy a new one, or because the item is destroyed beyond repair.
The difference between the two is going to depend on what the item in question is and how badly it's damaged.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would this be the case in a forested property destroyed by wildfire where the house and vegetation are completely burned?

Burned vegetation really can't be "repaired," if it's been killed. The land can be replanted, or the owner can look into bringing in full-sized trees (which would be considered replacement). An insurance company might try to "replace" trees by putting in saplings and letting them grow, but if they're going to do that, then you'd want to look at the difference between the land's value before and after that's done, to see if they're going to cover it.

A house that's been completely burnt has to be rebuilt from the ground up, because you can't just go out and buy a new one. Repair would probably mean to rebuild the exact house that was there before, where a replacement could involve upgraded features or even a new design to parts of the house.