Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
19958803

My daughter is a heroin addict. Last year she pawned her

Customer Question

My daughter is a heroin addict. Last year she pawned her jeep to get drug money. I went and got it out of pawn shop for her -paid $950 - she authorized them to turn it over to me and she signed the title. My mistake was not going right to motor vehicle and putting truck in my name. I was hoping she would stay clean and I would give it back to her...didnt happen....I threw her out when she starting using again and now she had a lawyer call the local authorities - got a duplicate title from motor vehicle and says she wants her jeep back. So I have a title and she has a title....what do I do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Did she actually sign the old title transferring ownership over to you?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it was the only way I would take the jeep out of hock.....I didn't want her driving high and I was afraid she would just pawn it again when she got desperate. If she stayed clean....the truck would go back to her but she didn't do that.

Ok, when she signed the vehicle over to you, it is now yours. Although it should have been transferred immediately, that won't negate the fact that she transferred ownership to you. So as it stands, she has a new, invalid title because she doesn't legally own the truck any longer. She can't undo the transfer by just getting a new title issued. However, since it hasn't been transferred over to you formally, she could still try to borrow money on it because to all appearances, she is still the owner...

.

Your recourse is to take the signed title to the DMV or clerk's office and transfer it into your name directly so that they will update the title to reflect you as the current owner. Until you do so, she looks to the world as the legal owner of the truck.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can I go to motor vehicle without a bill of sale......I cant find my receipt from the pawn shop and the guy up there is taking his sweet time sending me one....do I need it to transfer title?

Honestly, DMV issues are not my specialty and I freely admit my ignorance there.. But it is my understanding that a signed over title is all it takes since the vehicle could have been a gift to you or payment of a debt or something else. So I would call the DMV or clerk's office and ask them directly how to go about transferring the vehicle into your name with a signed title.

.

.

thanks