Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

I found a collections on my credit report I was not aware of

Customer Question

I found a collections on my credit report I was not aware of on my credit report while getting pre approved for a home. It is from Verizon wireless. I called them today and after 2 hours on the phone they found their mistake. In 2009 I switched carriers with a number port and paid my final bill of 349.00. That was the last I have known of this account. They told me today my account got mixed with another persons but I still owed the rest after my cancellation, final bill and number. They sent some else this bill as well more bills under collections. I never knew of this debt. I told them today I can pay them the amount because I buying a home but because they made a mistake can they fix credit report and remove all collections they have posted for not ever acknowledging me I had a dept. the gentleman said he can do but will have a manager call me in the next 48 hours to present me with options. What do I do? Is this illegal?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Can you be more specific in your question(s)? What do you do as far as what exactly? Is what illegal (there are several part involved in your facts)?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I want this debt off my credit and credit score corrected, it effected my fico scores. Verizon made mistake with my old account and somehow merged my account with someone from another state. As far as I knew I had my account paid in full. Since 2009 my account has been revolving in collections with out my knowledge. They sent "extra final" bill after I paid my final bill to someone else as well as any debt collection information to collect a debt. They reach out to me. They admitted today they made a mistake. As of right now all they can is collect my debt but it will on my credit as a settled debt. I feel it's unfair because incompetent and thus would of never reached collections if they made no errors.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
they never reached out to me.

I need you to answer the questions I asked. That will provide the info I need to assist you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Should Verizon be held accountable for correcting my fico scores by alerting the bureaus that they were at fault?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My girlfriend is using legal shield right now and things are going a little further. I want to cancel this and not be charged. It has been 10 minutes since I requested a phone consultation.