Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in Consumer Protection law, in particular construction law and auto repo law

I am in the process of trying to sell my car. Upon going to

Customer Question

I am in the process of trying to sell my car. Upon going to the DMV to get the paperwork, I was informed that the dealership that I purchased it from still has the title in their name and that I need to get a release of lien from them before I can get the title. It is my understanding that since the car was paid in full upon receiving the keys that the dealer would transfer the title to my name. This apparently never happened. I've spent this week calling the dealer to speak to someone about releasing the title to me. My first two calls were fruitless as the manager wasn't in. I finally got to speak to the manager yesterday and he said he would look into it and call me back. I tried to talk to him today for a status update as the person buying the car is pressuring me for the paperwork even though we haven't made a transaction yet. When I called today I was told he would be in in 30 minutes. I called back 30 minutes later and was told that he went home for the day. I am concerned that he is giving me the run around as he never gave me a concrete answer as to why this occurred, merely saying he would look into it. Coincidentally, this boss is the person who processed the paper work for the car purchase when I bought the car. Any advice on how to get the to comply quickly would be much appreciated
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I should also mention that I purchased this car 2 years ago
Expert:  Legalease replied 7 months ago.

Hello there --

My suggestion here is that you write a letter to the dealership and send it overnight delivery (signature required) and in that letter tell the dealer that if they are not ready to sign over the title within the next 2-3 days to get the matter cleared up through the DMV within about a week, then you will start by filing a complaint with the CA Attorney GEneral's Division of COnsumer Affairs and the Better Business Bureau. ANd, if it gets to the point where you are forced to make such complaints then you will also seek out legal action against the dealer for misrepresentation and possible fraud issues because they had no right to maintain a lien on your car which had been fully paid years before. I suspect that the reference to the Attorney General's complaint will get them to move to assist you pretty fast because every state has an office within the Attorney General's office that does nothing but investigate lemon law complaints and complaints against car dealers and manufacturers and they will take something like this very seriously (this could have happened to many people -- yours might be just the tip of the iceberg).

Please let me know if you have additional questions at this time. If not. can you please press a positive rating above in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above -- doing so will not cost you any additional money (it is simply the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time). I am also available for follow up questions for several weeks after you press a positive rating and I am happy to assist if there are follow up questions. MARY