Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My friend purchased an Audi delivery in the fall. He

Customer Question

My friend purchased an Audi for European delivery in the fall. He traveled to Europe to pick it up. It has been stuck in Customs in Houston for months because between around the time he brought it back to the dealership and it shipped, the diesel emissions scandal broke. He asked if that would affect his vehicle and was told that it would not, only other models. He now has been making payments on a car that will be held indefinitely. No one will call him back- he's been told that he will get a call from Corporate but he has not. Considering that the company was in error not only with their production but the information they told him, is he still held to the contract? I told him he should be able to get out of it and get his money back. So, now I'm asking you- he needs help, this is not right.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

He needs to send a formal written request to the company for cancellation of the contract because of this delay and refund of his purchase price. He should send the letter to both the local company and the corporate office. If he continues to be ignored, he should file complaint with the Attorney General's Office and Better Business Bureau.

Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. In your opinion, given the circumstances, does he have grounds for a refund? If he does need to consult an attorney to pursue this, what would you suggest to find the appropriate representative?

Thank you. In your opinion, given the circumstances, does he have grounds for a refund?

Response 1: Yes, he does. He cannot keep on paying for a car that he does not have.

If he does need to consult an attorney to pursue this, what would you suggest to find the appropriate representative?

He can use the following sites to find local consumer Attorneys:

Consumeradvocates.org

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com