Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

I am being harassed by a magazine that I advertised with who

Customer Question

I am being harassed by a magazine that I advertised with who is trying to force me to pay double what they quoted for advertising. I have a written quote for them and met with them initially to get a quote. They first tried to offer quotes for 6,000 and 9,000 and I told them I was not anywhere near that and my top budget was 3000. They said they could do that verbally and gave me a written quote. I was paying the fixed monthly amount when they stopped all billing for a few months. I inquired to find out why the bills stop about 4 months in a row. Then they send me a bill telling me I agreed to a 6000 contract and sent a paper which had this amount on it. The amount had to be written in later after I signed because I had told them the amount I could pay and accepted their quote. Now they are sending certified mail from a lawyer. I am not even in business anymore. I had a small museum for historic racing. I have an MBA I never could have afforded the amount they are trying to get from me. I told them that and they had revised their quote to fit my budget. What do I do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You were a business (LLC, corporation) or not? Did you sign a personal guarantee with them for the debt?
You have the proof of the quote you had?
How long ago did the last payment take place?