RONB-ESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Right of Way Manager at Access Midstream Partners, LP

I took my car to a repair shop that told me that they would

Customer Question

I took my car to a repair shop that told me that they would use the ford parts to replace the water pump that went out. (Water pump inside motor) Found out that they did not use parts promised and informed from the Ford repair that my computer in my car has to be replaced due to using "after market" spark plugs. Spoke to the repair shop and the owner "does not remember" making the statement that he would use ford parts. I have the invoice that shows he did use ford parts for some of the parts, but not all. I have the spark plugs and a statement from ford that states "check engine light is on-found aftermarket spark plugs power balance test Engine has misfires PCM (computer) shorted along with coils". Do I have a case against the repair shop to have them reimburse me for my bill in small claims court?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. The question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 7 months ago.

Do you have any proof that the repair shop representative told you that he would use Ford parts? Did they bill you for a Ford part (water pump) or different brand? Did you happen to have someone with you when he said this?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't have physical proof. The car was towed to his shop and he called me to find out if I wanted all manufacture parts before he quoted me a price. His statement when I told him Yes I wanted all manufacture parts was "that is what I thought". Then he later called me and told me he got all of the Ford parts in and was going to begin working on it. He did bill me for some Ford parts that consisted of the water pump, gaskets, and Timing Chain Tensioner. This is when I think that he figured out that he was not going to make as much of a profit and changed to after market parts on the Engine Oil, Spark plugs, front crank seal, air filter, oil filter, and ignition coils. From what I understand from Ford, he went wrong on the coils and the spark plugs. Those where what did the damage and I have that in writing from Ford.
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 7 months ago.

I think based on your telephone conversation you could testify to those facts and it is implied that you wanted ford parts. Either way he has a duty to repair the car in a manner that does not cause further damage. You should likely file a small claims action against him to recover for losses related to having another shop repair it. Make sure you keep track of any additional expenses you incur and sue him based on breach of contract, breach of implied warranty and his duty to perform the repair in a workmanship manner (not causing additional damage). Even if you can't prove the fact you requested Ford parts he still screwed the vehicle up based on his work and you are out those expenses along with rental car, etc.