Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I'm in Ohio. I signed an auto lease on Saturday, 3/12 but

Customer Question

I'm in Ohio. I signed an auto lease on Saturday, 3/12 but found a better deal today, 3/14 before taking delivery. The dealer called and the car is ready for pickup tomorrow. May I cancel the lease ?
JA: The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Consumer Protection Lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: What will the answer cost ?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Have you told the dealer you have changed your mind?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not yet but will do it today
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please do not try to upsell me - it's very unprofessional
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

I have not done anything to upsell. The site sends out offers that I have no control over.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

As a general rule, there is no 3 day cancellation right for a car lease. The lease is valid as soon as you sign it and you have no unilateral right to cancel. However, if the dealer agrees, it is perfectly legal. Just make sure you get a release in writing.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

If you ask the dealer to release you there will be some pushback. However, they are in the business of selling cars, not suing customers. So, it is not something the car dealers want publicity for doing. It is bad for customer relations.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

That is not to say they never sue, but if the financing has not disbursed, there is a pretty good chance the dealer will back down if you want to walk. No guarantees, but they will just sell it to the next customer.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Are you still online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?