Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

I recently shipped a mirror by UPS that was my mothers. She

Customer Question

I recently shipped a mirror by UPS that was my mothers. She got it related to purchase of a home about 1961. I don't know how old it is. She has kept this mirror in pristine condition since that time. Upon her death, I shipped it to my home. I arrived completely destroyed. UPS has agreed that the claim for the insurance that I bought at the time (insured for $500) is fair and agree to pay my claim. The issue is in proving value. There are no documents to ascertain the value. I spent hours on line trying to find something like it with no success. This mirror had what I believe is chrome embellishments that fasten it to the backboard. That part the mirror is intact. The problem is in proof of value. How do I establish the value of a mirror this old when I can not find an equal and can't replace it?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would need to get an antique appraiser to come look at it to try to put a value on it. A certified appraisal from someone who is an antique expert would be acceptable as proof of value to UPS's insurance carrier as there is no other way to prove value of something that old. You need to go to your local antique stores and explain what you need to get them to give you a certified appraisal.