Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs exp with Consumer Law issues

Dental malpractice complaint filed: 1) Is dentist required

Customer Question

dental malpractice complaint filed:
1) Is dentist required by law to give me her liability insurance company?
2) need advice: take her to small claims court, or get legal representation?
I am 72, woman, low income
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your questions. No, the dentist, at this point, doesn't have to provide her insurance company name to you. However, you would sue her directly in small claims court and then she would likely bring in her insurance company to defend the suit. At that time, you would know who it is and they would either negotiate a settlement with you, or they would defend the suit. As for whether you need an attorney, it depends on whether or not you feel comfortable completing the forms for small claims court and presenting all of the facts to the court and questioning the other party should this end up in court. If you don't, then you may want to consider hiring an attorney. If this is a personal injury/malpractice issue, then a personal injury attorney can take your case and will not charge you a fee up front, but only take payment if they win your case.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 10th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.