Nishan Parlakian
Nishan Parlakian,
Experience:  Principal at Consumer Law Office of Nishan Parlakian, Esq.
22033236

I am ***** *****. I am researching the ability of contracts

Customer Question

Hi. I am ***** *****. I am researching the ability of contracts to auto renew in Colorado and if there is a maximum "out" time (30 days, 60 days, etc) when they do.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It is an HOA contract with a management company it has not been signed since 2012, has auto renewed since
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Consumer Protection Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Nishan Parlakian replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am sorry for your trouble and possibly can help. In contract auto renewals check under the business corporations law or with the corporations department of Colorado. Usually there is specific law and regulation a mechanism that requires your express approval with the auto renew. This does mean that you will be in a position to obtain a refund for all of the down time, but if you want the renewal to stop they must stop it. Best, Sean

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, this is confusing to me. So does that mean that at the end date of the latest renewal, which for us was Jan. 2016, we can cancel at anytime? No matter what their cancellation policy is? They have been providing a service all this time, that we are willing to pay for, but now they are saying that we have to give more than 30 days notice and have to pay an extra 30 days because their contract says 90 days notice. Which is against against our HOA bylaws by the way. Sorry to add so much more but I did not get a chance earlier.

OK then if this is specific an something that you entered into then abide by the contract requirements to stop the auto renew. If you were given notice that the term had changed to 90 days and did not object then it would be 90 days. If you were not given notice then cancel with 30 days notice and advise that you were not given appropriate notice of the change in contract.