Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

What is the charge help? small Massachusetts business. went

Customer Question

what is the charge for your help?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: small Massachusetts business. went into a contract with ABC disposal for a 3 year contract on 9/7/10 for $38.00 a month. Now they are charging $78.00 per month plus a fuel charge. According to the US Energy Info Admin. fuel cost was above $3.50 a gallon, now its about $1.50. We just tried to cancel contract we were told we needed to have cancelled by 6/13.we never got a renewal notice . many states not require providers to sell renewal notices they do not . They want $470.10 in 7 days or they take us to court. Do we have other states rules that provide notice to customers of contract renewals.?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Consumer Protection Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Massachusetts unfortunately does not have any law that prohibits automatic renewal clauses in a contract. As long as the contract states that it will renew automatically if not cancelled by a certain date, that is binding and enforceable. The original contract is your notice, because a person is legally deemed to have read, understood, and agreed to everything in a contract that they signed. If you don't have the contract, you can insist that they produce a signed copy showing the renewal clause before you pay them anything.

With that said, they can't change the terms of the contract without notifying you. The renewed contract would have the exact same terms as the original, unless the original provides for a price increase. That means they can't charge you $78 per month or a fuel charge unless you agreed to it back in 2010.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.