CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I own my own plumbing business and recently I did a drain

Customer Question

I own my own plumbing business and recently I did a drain cleaning job on the kitchen sink I worked several hours on the job but was unable to get drain opened due to the foreign material in the drain which I explained to the customer I exhausted all my methods and equipment to no prevail that maybe they would need a plumber that had different equipment that I had no access to could possibly get the drain open I then told the customer that since I didn't get drain open I wouldn't charge the full price but had to charge something for my time which they said they understood and they wrote me a check for the discount amount I deposited the check the same day and three days later I received a stop payment on the check I have tried to make contact with customer to resolve this issue with no success I guess what I need to know is what is the next step in order to get monies that are owed or do I have a case in this matter in which it's even possible to get the money I am located in the state of Pennsylvania I know some laws differ from state to state
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 8 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

Your remedy here is to sue the customer in small claims court for breach of contract.

The customer is probably hoping that you are not going to go to the time and expense of doing this, but you do have a right to get paid for your time (the agreed upon amount).

https://www.pabar.org/clips/bringingsuitBeforeDJ.pdf