Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I have a question about online game company. The company

Customer Question

I have a question about online game company. The company took all my golds and claim the golds are illegal. However, I gained my gold legally. Just need to know what I can do? And the behavior of this company taking legal golds away is legal?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I play online game. During the game, I made items and sold them in auction house. I also form a team to help other players to defeat a monster and these players paid us golds. I earned my golds from these methods. However, the game company took away all my golds. I emailed and asked them to solve the issue. They replied back and accused me that I earned my golds illegally. They just said their development team went through my account logs and records to make the decision. However, I can't accept their decision. I also asked them to send me my account logs and records. I can let the third party to check. However, they said they can't give it to me due to their company policy. Is anyway I can do? Should I report to the police or online fraud department to check this issue for me? Or where I can look for help? Thank you
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Many of these games are scams. They take money from customers for playing and their terms are written in a manner that allows them to take the credits for "good cause" or "Gaming violations." If they take them for any reason that is not good cause, then they are in breach of contract and you can sue them for that breach. However, if you read the contract or terms of service, many times these companies are located in other states or countries from where you are located, which means that if you want to sue them then you have to do so in the state or country where they are located for the court to have personal jurisdiction over them.
If they are not providing you the proof of your alleged violations, you can report them to your attorney general's consumer protection unit and to the FBI internet fraud unit (http://www.ic3.gov). However, to sue them you would need to do so in the state/country where they are located.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is that behavior called when the online game company takes away its customer's legal golds and claims the gold is illegal? Is anyway I can get my game account logs and records from the online game company? Report the company to consumer protection and to the FBI Internet fraud unit can stop that company's scams?
Thank you for your reply.
It is called breach of contract, that is what I stated above. It can also be deemed to be theft by fraud if they sold you the coins taking your money knowing they would not let you keep them.
Reporting the company can stop the scams, yes.
The only way to get the records would be by suing the company.