Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My granddaughter was dating a man who ended up manipulating

Customer Question

My granddaughter was dating a man who ended up manipulating her to do things under threat of being beaten or his killing her son. He wrecked her car and demanded she get another one so he had something to get around in while she worked. He would take her to work and pick her up and had her in his presence 24/7 (gun in place). They went to a car dealer and the contract was written. She had filed a bankruptcy about 6 months earlier because of medical bills so could not get good financing.
What she got was a 2014 Chrysler 200 for 14,000 plus warranty plus, plus and plus. When she tried to tell him she didn't want those things he told her to "GET THEM!". The dealer charged her 29.99% interest. I don't know how they can do this. She makes minimum wage at a call center.
Is this the type of duress that could void this contract?
We are in Wash state.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately, no because the dealership did not force her to sign the contract. Her boyfriend did and the dealership did not have any knowledge of it--any knowledge that she was being forced by her boyfriend to sign the contract.