Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Kramer. The issue I need advice on is a transaction I

Customer Question

Kramer. The issue I need advice on is a transaction I started over the phone with Welk Resort Group. I presently own a timeshare with them, that is totally paid off. I was contacted by a 3rd party company working for them, offering a chance to join a Life-time Travel Club by turning over my timeshare Deed and paying $1995. After further review, I don't think we should complete this. However, we already made a credit card payment and electronically signed an agreement.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Is there a way for me to cancel this transaction and receive my money back?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Consumer Protection Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A contract is legally binding and enforceable from the moment that it's signed, unless there's a clause in it that says otherwise. MOST timeshare contracts have a clause that give you three days to cancel, in writing, to get a full refund and walk away with no penalty. If you've completed this transaction recently, check the contract to see whether you can cancel, how much time they gave you, and whether you are still able to do so.

Once the three day right to cancel is up, a contract can only be undone if both parties agree. It's possible that you could buy the timeshare back from them, or even convince them to deed it back to you, but they'd also probably keep the $1995 you paid them. That's something you'd have to negotiate, but the law is unfortunately on their side.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.