CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

My son is having s bank account attached debts. How does he

Customer Question

My son is having his bank account attached for old debts. How does he find out how much he owes and to whom?
JA: The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: He bought a car on time, lost his job, returned the car to the dealer and walked away. Now when his paychecks get deposited, the money disappears immediately.
JA: OK. The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Consumer Protection Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: He is about to receive a personal injury settlement from a car accident and wants to make good on his debts but doesn't know how to start.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 9 months ago.

Dear Customer,

If your son's bank accounts are being levied, that means he was sued, had a judgment entered against him, and the creditor now has a "bank levy" against him which allows them to remove money from his account.

He should have information on the law firm that handled the matter for his creditor from the court proceeding (their contact information will be at the top of the page). He can contact that law firm and get payoff information (or may even be able to negotiate a settlement).

If he is represented by an attorney in his personal injury action, ask his personal injury attorney for assistance, this is a very simple issue and they may be able to help him resolve it as a courtesy.