Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I have a 2007 Honda Hybrid which has a small issue making it

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Honda Hybrid which has a small issue making it impossible to pass smog test. All mechanics have told us that since it involves onboard computer don't know a fix and cannot guarantee a new one would solve problem. What do we do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Is this a legal question or a mechanic question?
If a legal question, have you contacted Hyundai America? What about replacing the computer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I want to know what the California Law says are options if no one knows how to fix the problem which we are being told.
Thank you for your reply.
The one thing you could obtain in CA is a waiver, which is only a ONE TIME waiver available if you can prove that you spent over $650 in repairs and cannot afford additional repairs at this time. However, that is only a temporary fix. You would have to seek to contact the manufacturer about replacing the computer in the car.
Also, you can contact the Bureau of Automotive Affairs which has a referee program who will try to first resolve repairing the problem and if they cannot get the manufacturer to come up with a solution, they can grant a waiver. See: https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Referee/Referee_Centers.html