How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 32938
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I took out a title loan using a car with the consent of the

Customer Question

I took out a title loan using a car with the consent of the owner. I was unable to pay the monthly payment due to financial hardship. The car got repossessed and the owner demanded me to pay off the loan immediately and get the car out from the repo pound or else he will file charges against me for fraud and gta. It took me couple of days to get the money and pay off the loan and get the car out. I was able to satisfy his demand by paying and getting him the car back which led me to believe that he will drop everything. But not now he's demanding for another $2000 for personal damages due to reposession. And if I don't pay at a certain time, he will turn the story and file charges against me. Should I file extortion against him even before he file any charges on me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

You can try and file charges but the police are unlikely to pursue them.

Your best course of action is to hire a lawyer that does both civil and criminal work and ask them to contact the DA and explain what is going on. If they do that then the DA isn't likely to pursue the charges against you. That will cost you a little money, it shouldn't be a lot, but it is a wise investment at this point and the method most likely to get you out of this with the least expense and trouble.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions