Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

My wife spent a week in the hospital that was in our

Customer Question

My wife spent a week in the hospital that was in our insurance PPO network. The hospital provided several doctors (Neptune Hospitalists PA) to care for her that we found out, when billed later, were out-of-network. The hospital had tried for a number of months to collect from our insurance (without any communications to me) and failed to get anything. They then sent the bill to me, which was the first time I had seen it. Immediatly we contacted them and told them that we would try to get the insurance company to pay and we were assured that we would be given a grace period while trying to work it out with the insurance. About a month later we got a reply from the insurance that they were not paying on it. Without delay we contacted the hospital to work out the payment but was instead given the number to a collection agency who now owned the debt. I complained to the collection department at hospital. They admitted that they had only sent me one notice of the bill before sending it to a collection agency. I told them I was not paying an agency because I belived that my credit was ruined the moment they sent it to them. I was promised that a supervisor would call, which she never did. Instead we got a call from the collection agency who said they would lower the original amount of $1,014.73 to $700 and that my credit would not be affected. I don't trust them and have made no agreement with them. Am I right about my credit already taking a hit? Do I have any recourse with the hospital at this point? All I know to do is contact the BBB. Is there anyone else I can contact? I live in Texas if that helps.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Do you have anything in writing from the hospital stating that they gave you a grace period during which your account / debt would not be transferred to the collection agency?

Did you check your credit report to see if the collection agency had reported this debt as delinquent / being in collection?