Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have been to multiple court appearances to capitalone. I

Customer Question

I have been to multiple court appearances for debt to capitalone. I missed a pre trial conference this past Tuesday. What do I do? Do they automatically get a judgement?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I owe credit card debt. Was in middle of divorce waiting to see if my ex paid anything towArds debt. We have been in court about 5 times. Me pro se. The other Atty certified us for trial. This was a pre trial date.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Consumer Protection Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

If you missed the pre-trial conference, the opposing party will ask the Court to issue a Default Judgment against you. Once you get the notice of Default Judgment from the Court, you need to file Motion to Vacate the Default Judgment and give the Court the reasons for not showing up for the hearing. Generally, the Court may grant your Motion and put the case back on the hearing calendar if there was a mix-up in your schedule; if you had an emergency that prevented you from showing up; if you received the notice of the hearing on the day of the hearing.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. Would it be worth calling the other Atty to ask for an extension or has the decision been made by the judge already? How do I look it up without contacting the Atty? Nassau county courts.

No, it is not worth it calling the Attorney. The Attorney is not responsible for scheduling of cases. The Clerk's Office is.

You need to contact the Clerk's office to find out the status of the case.