Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I moved from Texas to, and only missed 1 month of payment

Customer Question

I moved from Texas to Virginia, and only missed 1 month of payment until the car was paid off. I attempted to contact the dealer, but they never returned my call. I became very ill, and the car broke down. The car was towed to a junk yard. I just now got a text message from a man claiming to be a repo man stating there is a blue warrant on my car. I looked up what a blue warrant was and it has something to do with a parole violation. Is this a scam?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. The answer is yes and no.

Yes, in that there is no such thing as a "blue warrant" for vehicles. A blue warrant is when a parolee is arrested due to revocation of parole, and is incarcerated without the possibility for release on bond.

But this has nothing to do with vehicles. So the repo man is likely simply using the term to scare you into telling them where the vehicle is so they can repo it.

However it is not likely a scam in that there may indeed be a repo request on the vehicle.

Finally NOTE that hiding a vehicle from a repo which is per contract can be a criminal act.

Good luck.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What do I tell the repo man about the car being in a junk yard somewhere and I have no idea where?
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

I assume you no longer want the vehicle? If so, then just that. The repo company can then track the vehicle to the yard.

NOTE that this still makes you possible liable for breach of contract by the lender if they decide to sue.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Does the company that I got the car from have to contact me at all? Because they have not been returning my phone calls.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I do not want the car.
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

No, they do not have to contact you to repo the vehicle, unless the contract requires it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What if the repo man is sending text message at inappropriate hours, and name calling?
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

See HERE. If they violate any of those rules, they may be used. If they do not violate the rules but threaten/harass you, they may be sued under intentional infliction of emotional distress and other related causes of action.

Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!