Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I purchased a truck for $1,800 and the seller said all I

Customer Question

I purchased a truck for $1,800 and the seller said all I needed was a bill of sale in order to get a new title. I researched the VIN number on the internet and it came out clean. When I went to register the truck, I was told the truck was not in the Georgia system and that I would need a title. I tried to get the seller to help me find the owner, but he has left town - phone number and email no longer good. This was just a few days later trying to find him.
So, I was stuck with a truck and could not get a title. I decided to gift ($500) the truck to someone thinking he could use it for parts or whatever. I explained the problem to him.
Now, a week later he called me and told me he and his family (some in law enforcement) found out who the owner was, and that the truck has liens on it. Plus the vehicle is wanted because of the liens.
Of course the fellow I gave the truck to wants his $500 back. I would like to have my $1,800 back, but I know that wont happen. I want to be fair, and had no intention of breaking the law, so what must I do now. I have no idea of where the guy who sold the car to me is now. I told the guy who now has the truck to turn it over to the folks with the lien.
Now, do I have to pay him back his $500? Ugh, I hate this. I just thought I was really stupid for believing and trusting. He coned me, but I explained in full to the guy who has it now the whole issue with having no title.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Is the seller located in Georgia also?

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Are you online with me?