Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I have a 2002 chevy s-10 truck that I want to repossess. I

Customer Question

I have a 2002 chevy s-10 truck that I want to repossess. I am the only lienholder and mvd in arizona said I can repossess it since there is no legal mechanic lien. Here's the wild scenario I sold the truck to some former neighbors with a contract and the lienholder title agreement and they are over 6 months behind in payments but the twist is the vehicle is in a mechanic yard and they have a supposed mechanic bill of 700. In essence, I'm the bank and financial ownership/lienholder of the title. There is no mechanic lien on the vehicle per mvd but the mechanic said there is a mechanic's lien?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Since you are the lienholder, but it is being held by the mechanic for payment due (that is called a possessory lien, meaning as long as the mechanic has possession he can refuse to release it without payment). In this type of case where you have your lien to assert, if you do not want to pay the mechanic to get the vehicle for repossession, then your only recourse is you have to file suit against the debtor and also against the mechanic to have the court order a repossession.