Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

Can you please advise what might I should do to resolve my

Customer Question

Good Morning, Can you please advise what might I should do to resolve my issue with a credit card charge I have been disputing since last June? April 2014 I had booked an online flight for 2 people to fly to FL. Next day my mom wanted to join us, so I called Orbitz to see if they can add her since I was afraid the seats would all be taken & was told to go ahead and cancel & resubmit for the 3 of us. I have emails showing 3 people went, and the 2 person reservation was cancelled. I received my Visa with all charges for 3 seats on USAirway @ $282.70 each, a travel insurance fee $47.28 & a Travelation fee $45 all that made sense to me, but a charge at the end was for Agent Fee 8900633633550 LBF Travel for $843.60 that I was shocked to see. I immediately called my credit card company & explained I thought it might be for the reservation I cancelled. It was immediately taken off my bill. I paid the balance in full as I always do. A month or two passed, and it appeared back on my bill. I was told it was an unauthorized credit. That I needed to fill out some forms and/or write a letter with more information. At that time June thru Aug, I was a service representative for AT&T that had been bought by Frontier communications and I was in heavy training for their new computer systems. I had little time to deal with this, as it takes hours on the phone, and after work I care for my mom. So yes, I could not devote my time to this matter until I retired Sept. 30, 2015. Now I feel like I am still working as I have spent numerous hours trying to investigate this myself. Finally I found out that LBF is who I need to contact & though I have sent copies of both cancelled and used reservations they say that this is the charge for the flight I took. When I ask them why is there already a breakdown of the charges above? I never receive an answer to my question. I refuse to pay $843.60 for a service for Agent Fee from LBF Travel. I booked with Orbitz online and there was never a mention of LBF Travel. Now each month late fees are added. My credit card company said they will not assist me since I did not give them the full information in writing within 60 days. Which to me, is an absurd law since I had spoken on the phone with them explaining the situation which I was told may be recorded. Please help me with this. I can be contacted at(###) ###-####or email***@******.***. Thank you. Sincerely, ***** ***** 38 Townsend Terrace, New Haven CT 06512
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, if you did not complete your dispute with the credit card company within the proper number of days, you have only one remaining option. If LBF Travel will not communicate with you and will not refund your money, then you have to sue in small claims court in CA.
Here is the information on LBF Travel:
4545 Murphy Canyon Rd, San Diego, CA 92123 (###) ###-####
Before suing, you can file a complaint with the CA Attorney General Consumer Protection unit (https://oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-complaint-against-business-or-company) and also the Better Business Bureau (http://www.bbb.org) and usually those two entities can help resolve these complaints.
If the AG and BBB cannot resolve the matter, then because they are in CA, you would have to sue them there as that is the court with personal jurisdiction over them and you can engage a local CA attorney who handles consumer protection law in San Diego at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com