Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I purchased a warranty on a car for $2300, the dealership

Customer Question

I purchased a warranty on a car for $2300, the dealership never filed paperwork so the warranty company has no record of my contract, I have a signed copy showing I purchased the warranty from the dealership, since then the dealership is no longer operating, can I make a case to get my money back?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the dealership is no longer operating, you have an issue. Your claim is against the dealer for breach of contract for taking money for the warranty and not submitting the contract to the warranty company. You cannot sue the warranty company if they never received the contract or payment. So if the dealer is out of business I am sorry to say that you would have no legal recourse.
You can negotiate with the warranty company and show them your proof of payment and sometimes out of goodwill they will either provide the warranty or will offer you a reduced rate to purchase a warranty again, but otherwise they are under no obligation to do anything because your issue is with the dealer.