Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Is there a way to take away direct deposit by an employer.

Customer Question

Is there a way to take away direct deposit by an employer. If I tell them they no longer have permission to access my account-is there a way to do that
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am currently working for a company that I will be leaving. I was paid a guarantee as I am a commissioned employee-this was supposed to have been for 6 months. The last pay I received was on 1/29 and myself and the rest of my team and manager were told on 2/8 that they will not pay us until we meet targeted goals(which was not part of the deal-they make thinkgs up as they go). I am afraid if I leave they will try to take funds out of my account to cover insurance since we did not get paid in Feb-Also they never paid us for the first week we worked-we were told we could get it now or at end of our 6 months-lies
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Consumer Protection Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Unless you authorized automatic withdrawals from the account to your employer, the employer cannot access your account without your permission. However, if the employer made a direct deposit to the account in error, the employer can go back to the account to take back the deposit. To prevent the employer from reaching your account in the future, the only guarantee way is to close the account that the direct deposit is associated with and open a new account at another bank altogether.