KJLLAW
KJLLAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I have a potential action, with punitive damages amounting

Customer Question

I have a potential action, with punitive damages amounting to about $4000, without punitive damages my action is less than $500. Which court would I file in in Suffolk County, NY?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The maximum amount to be filed in District Court is $15,000 per cause of action. The small claims section is a special actions part that are limited to $5000 per filing , which includes any special/punitive damages. You could file in the small claims part because the aggregate amount of all of your damages in less than $5,000.00. In small claims civil court you can represent yourself, you must purchase a civil summons and complaint form that is specifically intended for the District Court small claims. An example is a Blumberg form T-1480 which can be purchased at a store that sells legal stationery or from www.blumberglegalforms.com.

After the form is completed by you, the summons must be issued (signed) by a District Court civil clerk. There is a filing fee. After the summons is signed, you must arrange to have the summons and complaint served on the defendant(s).

I hope this helps with your question.