Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I received a 2 page letter from the AWARD NOTIFICATION

Customer Question

I received a 2 page letter from the AWARD NOTIFICATION COMMISSION IN kANSAS cITY ks 66110. it says that I am eligable for $1,327.940 lump sum or $2 million over 30 years.I am to return page 2 with a fee of $12.99.
JA: The law can be really complicated! The Lawyer will know what to do. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Is this a scam
JA: Is there anything else the Consumer Protection Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and former asst prosecutor, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Did you enter the sweepstakes? Why do you need to send in any money if you are a winner?

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

As you know, something which is too good to be true is, generally, not. Also, I am sure you suspect this is one of those times. Unfortunately, I am absolutely sure that there is no prize waiting for you from these people.

This is positively a scam. It is known as an "Advance Fee Scam".

Just remember:

1. You can not win a sweepstakes or lottery you did not enter.

2. No legitimate sweepstakes asks winners to pay upfront to release the winnings.

3. If they were genuinely holding money belonging to you should be able to tell them to just deduct the taxes, insurance, courier fee (all red flags, by the way) and send you a net check.

4. No legitimate lottery or sweepstakes notifies major winners by text, email or regular mail.

Do not send any money or otherwise respond. They are trying to steal from you.

Here is an online warning from the FTC:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/youarehere/pages/pdf/FTC-Fraud-Scams-The-Winner-Is.pdf

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?