Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

Body shop and insurance co. Stold my custom truck.

Customer Question

Body shop and insurance co. Stold my custom truck .
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you are deciding you do not want him to do the work because of the high estimate, you are still liable to pay the storage fees to have it towed to another repair shop. Once you pay the storage fees and get the truck out and to another mechanic, THEN you can sue the body shop for their excessive estimate and for unfair and deceptive business practices for trying to get the vehicle as a salvage vehicle from you.
You would also sue your insurer for breach of contract if you asked to take it to another shop and they refused to allow you to do so.
You can also file a complaint with both the state attorney general's office against the body shop and the state insurance commission against the insurer.
These are the options you have, but you need to get the truck back by paying the storage and from there you can take your legal actions against them and sue for damages.