Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I bought a car in cash. I took the title to the DMV, and

Customer Question

I bought a car in cash. I took the title to the DMV, and they pointed out to me that the title hadn't been retitled to the previous owner properly. It shows that the title was signed over to pac american group from progressive. He signed the bottom of the title and had me sign.
The DMV told me that this copy of the title was void and that I would need to contact the seller to have a new title. He informed me that it would cost me $150 and take 8 weeks. I have the bill of sale, but I don't have a copy of that original title. Do I owe him money?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

When a person buys a vehicle, it's up to the seller to deliver a copy of the title that the buyer can use to title the car in his name. If the seller doesn't do that, the buyer can sue for a full refund - the sale is not valid if the buyer can't get a good title. And for that reason, no, the buyer does not have to pay to get a copy of the title if the seller provides an invalid title in the first place.