Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgeable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

Have a jewelery account from when iw as in military.

Customer Question

Have a jewelery account from when iw as in military. Payments were being drawn out of my military pay account till seperation in summer of 08. I just received a call today. My fiancee is saying that its a scam and that they xcannot charge me. Any ideas
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what? I was contacted today at 235 pm about an account back form 2008 Thats almost 8 years
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Consumer Protection Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

If you are receiving demand for payment on an old account (2008) it may or may not be valid. Obviously, if you completed your payments, there is no reason for you to be charged an you are being scammed. If you still owed money back in 2008, that debt may have just been purchased by a collection company trying to see what it can get, but it's legal collection options are limited. It can contact you and request payment, which you can voluntarily pay, or you can refuse to pay, send a cease and desist letter and there is nothing further the collection company can do on such an old debt. They cannot report to the credit bureau's because reporting is only valid for seven years after the delinquency and the statute of limitations has run so they cannot collect via court action. The cease and desist letter instructing them to never contact you again should be sufficient to end the matter, under the circumstances.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, please let me know and I will continue to provide assistance. If I have addressed your issue, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is how attorneys on this site are credited for the help provided.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1

Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

If I have clarified your issue or helped point you in a positive direction, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the information provided.

Best,

Attorney 1

Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to find out how your situation is progressing. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. If I have helped clarify things for you, please let me know that, as well. Thank you.

Best,

Attorney 1