How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney 1 Your Own Question
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 2539
Experience:  Knowledgeable and Experienced Attorney
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Attorney 1 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can I do if I traded cars on craigslist and the other

Customer Question

What can I do if I traded cars on craigslist and the other guy refuses to send me the title?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He filled out a bill of sale for both of us stating the trade was done. I have all the texts saying what the deal was.
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

If the guy is refusing to send you the title, despite your requests and demands, you could file an action for injunctive relief in small claims court, and the court will order the guy to provide the title. In the event it the title is not being provided because it has been lost, the previous owner is under a legal abrogation to get replacement title and forward it to you. This is because, given your agreement to purchase/trade the car and your actual purchase or trade of the car, the former owner is legally required to do whatever is necessary to complete a proper sale. This is the case even if there is no writing to that effect. Again, if the other party refuses to do so, you could bring an action in small claims court to force his hand.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll be happy to continue assisting. If I have addressed your issue, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted.

Good luck!


Attorney 1

Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. If I have addressed your issue, please remember to leave a positive feedback rating, as that is the only way attorneys on the site are credited for the help provided.


Attorney 1

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions