CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

We bought a 2007 Toyota Camry (for $6500.00 cash) Jan. 15 at

Customer Question

We bought a 2007 Toyota Camry (for $6500.00 cash) Jan. 15 at a used car lot. We signed an as is warranty when we bought the car. We had a light come on the next day and the manual said it was the brake. We then took it to the dealer today (had been out of town so had not driven it), the dealer says the car has over $3000.00 in serious issues. One is regarding the light that came on and has to do with the computer board in the car ($2200 for repair in it alone), also the water pump and alternator bearing need replaced. Is there any kind of legal action that we can take or anything we can do regarding this issue?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

I would recommend reviewing this opinion written by the Kansas Attorney General's Office regarding "as is" warranties and automobiles. If it appears (based on the condition of your vehicle - which very well may be the case based on your description), that your dealer has violated the consumer protection laws of your state - you may be able to convince them to void the contract, repair the vehicle, or enter into some other contract with you to your mutual satisfaction.

But do read the opinion in full, it details the distinctions between the different types of warranties and obligations in your state:

http://rvpolicy.kdor.ks.gov/Pilots/Ntrntpil/IPILv1x0.NSF/865782e7272861a38625655b004e9336/3ac9eb9cfa8c6bfb86256659005000c4?OpenDocument

If you find that your dealer has violated the statute and refuses to work with you, (or if you simply want to report bad business practices), you can file a report online here: http://ag.ks.gov/file-a-complaint