Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
19958803

I purchased a vehicle from used car dealer in Georgia. The

Customer Question

I purchased a vehicle from used car dealer in Georgia. The car was purchased as is no warranty. Within 10 days the engine through a rod. The sales manager offered to give me a2000 credit towards a trade in on the car. I owe or loose 3000. Took out a loan for 5000. I was going to not take the deal . Now it has come to pass that the dealer failed to get me to sign the title. I got a call from the dealers title rep that if I did not come in they would unwind the deal. I want to know if I have to sign the title . They have the check I still have the car. Do I have any bargaining power? I want to return the vehicle . They take my 5000 apply to adifferent car and If there is any difference in cost then I would pay that on another purchase.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I want to know if I have to sign the title . They have the check I still have the car. Do I have any bargaining power? I want to return the vehicle .

.

From a purely legal perspective, they could file suit against you for breach of contract and get a judge to order you to sign the title under threat of contempt of court. I really hate to say it, but if the car was sold "as is" with no warranty, then it would have been on you to have it inspected prior to purchasing to ensure that it was mechanically sound. If it later turns out to be defective, then you are stuck.

.

If you didn't have a mechanic look at it, then you would be assuming the risk that there could be problems with it after the purchase.

.

Now, realistically, will the dealer want to spend a couple thousand on an attorney to sue you?....not very likely. So you do have a little bargaining power to negotiate a better deal or possibly getting them to repair the vehicle for just the cost of parts..

.

.

thanks