Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I bought a new 2012 Toyota Tundra in May of '12 from Haas

Customer Question

I bought a new 2012 Toyota Tundra in May of '12 from Fred Haas Toyota in Houston, TX. It now has 55k miles and I have had the electric door lock actuators on the doors replaced seven times (the truck has four doors which means three have been done twice). The Internet is full of people complaining about these locks. I know Texas lemon laws only protect for something like 30 days. This is getting very expensive.
My problem is this. If I bring the truck in at 55k miles and say one of the locks isn't working and you tell me it is out of warranty then I have to say ok and pay for the repair (my problem). However, if I bring the truck in over the 55k miles and have seven of them fail, then you have a problem with your supplier/vendor for these actuators (not my problem). This means that three of the locks you replaced with new ones have also failed.
Do I have any recourse with the dealership or Toyota Corp.?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What you are claiming is a product liability case against the manufacturer for the negligent manufacture or their defective lock actuator. If the vehicle is still in warranty they have to cover this. If it is not under warranty, but you paid for the part to be replaced and it fails again that part should still be replaced under the warranty on that part. If they have defective parts, you have grounds to sue the manufacturer for their defective manufacture of parts.