Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

My question is regards to a medical bill that was paid by

Customer Question

Hi, my question is regards ***** ***** medical bill that was paid by the insurance company in full back in 2014 and the billing department claims that they never received their payment. Since I first found out about this error I have spend countless hours tracking our old insurance carrier from 2014 trying to find an explanation of benefits and proof of payment. I have mailed, faxed, emailed and spoken on the phone to various customer service agents about this and today I just received another bill asking for payment. I can not believe that they have the audacity to continue to bill me when I have told them again and again to locate their payment. I feel very harassed by them and their tone is always one of disregard and carelessness. My husband and I have argued this bill with them and we don't want this to end up on our credit report and affect us negatively. If I owed the balance, I would have paid it by now. However, I won't fall victim to their harassment and predatory ways. Please help me figure out what my rights are. They are clearly taking advantage and have been for over a year.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

It's a little unclear from your facts so I want to be sure I understand. Are you asaying that the bill was paid in full (by either you or the insurance company)?

If so, and they were paid by check do you have any proof that the check was deposited by the office? For example, a copy of the cancelled check?

Also, are you being contacted by a collection agency or is the "billing department" actually a part of the office?