Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
19958803

If you re a licensed contractor to build a hotel how is the

Customer Question

If you hire a licensed contractor to build a hotel how long is the warranty period for workmenship
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

LA has a residential home warranty law that covers various defects from periods ranging from one year up to 5 years.

.

But for a commercial development, Louisiana Civil Code makes an “undertaker,” e.g. contractor/architect, “bear the loss” if a building he or she undertakes to make falls into ruin within a specified period, either in whole or in part, on account of “badness of the workmanship.” The period for liability differs between stone/brick buildings and wood/wood-framed buildings with brick facades. Stone/brick buildings have a 10-year preemptive period; wood/wood-framed buildings have a 5-year period. La. C.C. art. 2762.

.

""It is well-established Louisiana law that implied in every building contract is an obligation on the part of the contractor to perform the work in a good, workmanlike manner, free from defects in either materials or workmanship."" Cell-O-Mar, Inc. v. Gros, 479 So.2d 386 (La.App. 1 Cir. 1985)

.

.

thanks