socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Tina, I'm working with North Equity Business Services on the

Customer Question

Hi Tina, I'm working with North Equity Business Services on the sale of my time share to a Mexican corporation. Everything has been dealt with via email and phone conversations. They are telling me I have to pay the SAT tax up front to the Mexican government in order for escrow funds to be released. And, that the taxes are refundable to me due to the free trade laws established by Clinton. I can go to Mexico and oat at a SAT office, have an agent licenced by the SAT handle it for me in Mexico, ir have a paid North West Equity Services staff member in Mexico handle it for me free of charge. I'm leery about paying anything upfront. Have you run into this company before? They are at 8750 W Bryn Mawr Ave, Chicago, Il 60631.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 10 months ago.

Tina is not available. Please permit me to assist.

The business that you describe does not appear in the Better Business Bureau (bbb.org) database. The website is protected by a third party internet service that prevents persons without a court order from discovering the ownership of the website. And, the website does not display a physical address for the business. More important, the business does not appear in the Illinois Secretary of State business name database, which means that unless the business is licensed or registered under some other name, then it has no legal existence, and may be operating unlawfully in Illinois.

My experience is that businesses that cannot provide a physical address, or government license to support its authority, may be trying to hide something important. While I cannot recommend or disparage a business, and while I have no personal knowledge of the business to which you refer, I am not impressed by the business' apparently substantial efforts to obfuscate its ownership and location.

Consequently, I wouldn't put up a penny of money to make this transaction work, unless and until the business comes forward with a lot of verifiable information about its business existence and practices.

As the old saying goes: "buyer beware."

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!