Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

Can a tow company open your locked gate and tow your car out

Customer Question

Customer: can a tow company open your locked gate and tow your car out of your driveway?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I woke up and my car wasn't in my driveway. it's a finance vehicle, but I only owe Honda which is December. We are now two weeks in January. I have a tow truck driver on my home security camera opening my gate and dragging my front while drive car from behind leaving skid marks, probably damages to my car, out of my driveway.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Consumer Protection Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RGMacEsq replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Can you tell me what state this is in?

Did you see my follow up question to your issue? The reason I ask is that tow laws and trespass laws vary from state to state. There's no Federal law that governs this, so it could be relevant what state it occurred in.

Did you see my follow up question to your issue? Did you wish to continue with your question?