How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 33147
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm having an issue to transfer a title in my name of a

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** I'm having an issue to transfer a title in my name of a vehicle I purchased. I took to people with me thinking that I wouldn't get screwed. It has been months with me going round & round...I need to get the title straightened out in 45 days as of last Saturday do to getting pulled over for non registration. They've given me that time. I don't know what to do. The kid that the number I have refuses to answer the phone when the police & my dv advocate call.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just learned that one of the people I took with me is now deceased. What can I do?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Consumer Protection Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I need to get this resolved within the time that the cops tell me. IF it costs me 18...fine...what more do I have to loose...
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

I'll be happy to discuss this matter with you and try and point you in the right direction on what to do. However, before I ask questions about your situation, I need to make sure that you understand how the website and rating system works.

Many times in legal situations like this the law doesn't provide an easy solution or remedy. When that happens we have to give the person asking the question bad news. It's true, but sometimes it's not in their favor.

On this website the customer rates us experts at the end of the question and answer and every now and then a customer is unhappy about the law and gives a negative rating. Unfortunately, that negative rating is taken by the website to be a reflection on me, indicating that I wasn't polite, wasn't prompt, or provided a wrong answer.

I'm more than happy to discuss this with you, but I just wanted to make sure that you understood how the system works and that you will rate me on my professionalism and not on whether the law is in your favor or not, since I have no control over that.

With that understanding, do you want me to discuss this in more detail with you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would be happy to see what you suggest at this point. I want this over & done with. IF you have any questions to ask me you can ask me if you need more information. Thank you for your response.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Great, sorry for the delay, I was having computer problems.

Did you purchase the vehicle from a person or a business?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I purchased it from a man named Anthony Burke. He works at ConAgre Foods off of 71st & Georgetown the last I knew. My DV Advocate & I tried calling him at work, but they wouldn't let us talk to him.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, if he isn't voluntarily addressing the issue then the only way to handle it is through a lawsuit. You can file against him for breach of contract and ask the court to order him to transfer the title as well as paying for the costs and attorney's fees. You could also sue him and the state and ask the court to make a finding that the title is supposed to be transferred to your name. By suing him and the state then the court's order would be binding on the state and make them have to change the title.

You probably want to meet with a local attorney and get prices depending on how you file the lawsuit as well as to see how your local judge is likely to rule. That will tell you the best way to proceed.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions