Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I purchased a GM Certified Pre-Owned w/factory warranty 2010

Customer Question

I purchased a GM Certified Pre-Owned w/factory warranty 2010 Cadillac CTS with 41,144 miles in December of 2014. On November 30, 2016 the car was deemed a total loss due to major water damage/mold. Today I received a call from an attorney representing the prior owners in a lemon law litigation. He disclosed to me that his clients had many complaints, one being a water leak somewhere but dealer repeatedly told his clients there was no leak. I couldn't believe what I was hearing given the fact my car was totaled due to this water leak. So I started asking a few questions myself and to my surprise his clients live here in the Houston area too. Even more shocking, they purchased, had vehicle in repair department multiple times and traded the car back to the same dealership where I purchased the car. The dealership never disclosed ANYTHING to me about the litigation/numerous repair shop visits or I would of walked away. I am out a 2003 H2 Hummer that was used as a trade-in (free and clear), $3000 cash down,a year of payments and all I have to show for it is a check from Geico for $25 bucks! I am wondering if I have any recourse against the dealership for selling me a vehicle that they knew had problems and didn't disclose?
Thanks,
Casey G.
League City, TX
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Unfortunately, the dealer is not legally obligated to disclose any prior repair / claim issues when selling a used vehicle or disclose whether the vehicle was in any accidents prior to the sale and such due diligence is the responsibility of the buyer when it comes to the used vehicles and the buyers do have an option to have the vehicle inspected by an independent licensed mechanic or run a carfax report to determine whether the used vehicle was ever involved in any accident.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.