P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16+ yrs. of legal experience.
11181181

I just bought a used car. Less than 48 hours later, its in

Customer Question

I just bought a used car. Less than 48 hours later, its in the shop with a number of issues. The dealership is picking up to 'take care of it', but I'm very concerned.
I asked about returning, and am told there is no return policy in effect. This is a Chevrolet dealership.
It is a 2008, so I understand the lemon laws (NC) do not apply. I didn't know that until today.
Here's my question - Since they will not accept the car back voluntarily - the check for the deposit has not cleared. Should I put a stop on that check until these things are resolved?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Canceling the check is, likely, not the best way to resolve his.

Doing so could, arguably, subject you to criminal prosecution.

And it would not help your civil case.

If the dealer misled you in this transaction, you would have a legal claim against them...you could, for example, sue in small claims court to recover for the losses you incurred due to their lying to you.

So you do have recourse.

But canceling the check would allow them to ask that you be prosecuted...to avoid that possibility I would not cancel the check

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

follow up