CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I have two medical bills approximately $500.00 that are now

Customer Question

I have two medical bills approximately $500.00 that are now in collections. I asked the agency over the phone if I paid the bills in full would they remove them from my credit report and if so could I get it in writing. They said they wouldn't even consider it until they are paid. What can I do to get these completely removed once they are paid? I don't want to start paying or commit to anything until I get it in writing. What are my rights?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately, you do not have a legal claim to force them to remove these accounts from your credit (if you continue to refuse to pay the amounts, the creditor can sue you for the unpaid balance, resulting in a judgment against you - the amount is very small, so this may be unlikely).

Once you pay, the amount will show as paid (even if the creditor refuses to remove the entry from your credit).

With all legal matters, make sure to document your communications - use "confirmation letters" to follow up to your phone calls or in person conversations - summarize who you talked to, what you talked about, any agreements you made, and what (if any) follow up action was to be taken by either party. Always keep copies.