Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

What is the best way to handle retailers who perpetually

Customer Question

What is the best way to handle retailers who perpetually advertise sale items in their store and, upon checking out, the regular price gets rung instead? Having caught the "error", I went back to the store for a refund/credit only to be shorted again. I stopped in last Saturday to observe this issue a bit more in depth, and I was approached my two managers who told me I couldn't shop in their store anymore.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Technically, they may be sued. They may be sued under the Virginia Consumer Protection Act (see HERE) as well as common law fraud and negligence. Whether or not one wants to go this route, they can - if the case is proven, punitive damages may be assigned.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.