Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I live in Chicago and my mother signed a contract to buy a

Customer Question

Hello, I live in Chicago and my mother signed a contract to buy a used car on Saturday. While on the dealership, my mom realized that the dealer misrepresented information when they negotiated the price. Basically, when the price was set and financing was approved the finance person said that this price was without CPO, thus the interest rate on financing can't be the same what they have agreed upon prior. So, the sales person "forgot" to mention that the $600 discount from the advertised price was at the cost of not having a CPO and receiving a 2.6% instead of 1.99%. There were a lot of arguments about the situation and my mom said that she doesn't want the car and she won't be back with a down payment. The dealer then showed her a different copy of the contract with her signature on it with $0 down and said that the car is hers regardless the down payment. That contract was never discussed (my mother was planning to give $2,000 down), has higher purchase price and my mother says that she didn't see that she was signing that contract. So, I think the finance person substituted pages when she was thinking she was signing another copy of the "good" contract. They were constantly rushing my mother and telling her they have other people waiting, as they needed her to lose focus and sign something that she didn't know even existed; that contract was never supposed to be even filled out by the finance department.They have a contract scam going on and form my research online, I see that they are lying and providing bad service. I understand that it's all very hard to prove now, that's her word against theirs and it's probably impossible to get rid of the car at this time, but I want to go back to the dealership today with my mother and get a new contract based on their advertising of the car - no discount from the advertised price, but with CPO and 1.99% interest rate as was agreed upon before. My question is whether they can keep my mother liable to the contract signed fraudulently and what arguments do I have to convince them to resign a new contract, as in the copy that they gave to my mother, the purchase price is neither the one agreed upon nor the one in the ad, it's a third price that was never mentioned before? My mother requested a polish speaking finance person, but he was unavailable and my mom made a mistake and started signing documents that she didn't have enough time to read through and the finance person, of course, didn't bother to explain to her documents that were given her to sign. However, my mother is 100% sure that there was nothing ever mentioned about a second contract with $0 down.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Has your mother told the dealer she would not be purchasing the car?

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Are you online with me?