Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I have a Themador dishwasher that has been broken since

Customer Question

I have a Themador dishwasher that has been broken since November 9, 2015. It has a 2 year warranty. It was purchased October, 2014. I called State Street Appliance, where I Purchased a household of appliances. They referred me to Thermador I called them . The gave me the number of Wells Appliance. They came and said we needed a new pump and a circuit board. They have replaced both twice. After many calls Wells says they cannot fix it. Another repair company was contacted on last Thursday. They did not call me. I had to call them. Please tell me what my rights are and what can I do ?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under warranty law, if the manufacturer cannot repair the unit, they must replace it or refund your money. This is in accordance to the Manguson Moss Warranty Act. So you start by sending a letter to the manufacturer informing them that pursuant to the law and your rights, the repair company claims they cannot fix the problem and you are demanding that they either replace your unit with another comparable unit or refund your money. If they refuse to do either, then your next step is filing a complaint to the state Attorney General's Consumer Protection Unit, since they have a service that mediates warranty disputes under the warranty act.
In most all cases the attorney general can resolve the complaint. However, in the event they cannot do so, your final option is having to sue the manufacturer (which rarely gets this far).