RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Carole Christensen
, I received a check from Unity

Customer Question

Customer: Carole Christensen
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I received a check from Unity Financial company for $3,950 to help mepay processing fee for winning $250,000
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Consumer Protection Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

I'm sorry to say, this is a common scam. You cannot win a lottery that you did not enter, as you know. Secondly, Unity Financial isn't in the business of awarding cash prizes. They sell life insurance and other types of insurance.
A real lottery is one that you would have to enter, and notification of any prize would typically come via certified mail, not email or regular mail. Furthermore, no real lottery, like the Powerball, would have a "processing fee", and any taxes would be your responsibility.

Here's how this scam works -they send you the check hoping you'll deposit it and send them some money. Federal law says a bank has to honor a check presented to them, so the bank will, while they wait for it to process and clear. By the time it actually does come back as being fraudulent, you've sent off money and/or personal information to this scammer, and are now on the hook for the bad check and any fees your bank may charge them.

Walk away now, you were right to be concerned, it's a fake.

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'm happy to assist you further.

If there is nothing further I can assist you with, please kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts are compensated on this site for their time and information, and a portion of you deposit is released to us. Thank you again for using Just Answer!