Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I just had a weird situation happen with extended stay in

Customer Question

Hi I just had a weird situation happen with extended stay in Burbank . I was a customer there and I was due to check out today but I went and paid for another day with no issues. Upon leaving I put a do not disturb sign in the keyhole (one provided by hotel). When I came back my key didn't work and the dnd sign was gone. Turns out they went in my room and looked through my stuff and found hash on foul that I had taken one puff of last night. They told me I had to leave which I'm ok with but I feel their actions were egregious and possibly not legal. They looked through my drawers!!!! I had already paid so it was my room. Now they are trying to say they will charge me 250 like I smoked cigs in the room which I did not!!! I want to be secure in what the law is when I call them back
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is 'did they break the law' since they looked through my things? They had no reason to do so. There was no damage to the room and it did not smell of cigarettes cause I didn't smoke in the room. I feel violated
Expert:  Peter Schwedock, Esq replied 1 year ago.

hi, this is Peter . . . IF THERE WAS NO REASON TO GO INTO YOUR ROOM THEN THEY WERE WRONG . . . UNLESS THEY HAD A REASON TO SUSPECT YOU BROKE A RULE, THEN THEY VIOLATED YOUR PRIVACY . . . PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER AT THE END OF OUR SESSION