Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

My Mercedes cls550 2013 has been towed into shop four times

Customer Question

My Mercedes cls550 2013 has been towed into shop four times in the past three months.It has not costed me any money because it is still under factory warranty. But my fustration is the concern for my safety every time that engine shakes while I an driving it, when it malfunctions over and over again. I have contacted Mercedes USA and all they would give me is $3500 to buy a new car from them. Mercedes Germany is no help to me either. I purchased this car from a Jaquar dealership when the car had 5000 miles on it. It started having problems at about 12080 miles. Mercedes service is also baffled by the continual problem. They keep telling me it is repaired, but it does not stay repaired for long. Do I have any recourse on this continual problem?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look froward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Was the $3500 offered as part of an arbitration process?

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

If not, because you are still covered under the manufacturer's warranty, you may qualify under the so-called Lemon Law and be entitled to a repurchase or replacement from the manufacturer (not the dealer) if:

1. three or more repair attempts and the problem continues to exist; OR

2. the car is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of 15 days or more (although unavailability of parts may extend this time).

Once that happens, you need to contact the manufacturer's customer service division to apply for arbitration. You will find the number in you owner's manual.

They say the process can take around 10 days for a decision, but my experience has been that it will be closer to a month. There are attorneys who handle these types of claims, but you can do it yourself, at least to start.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?